Monday, April 1, 2019

Def Leppard's "Disintegrate"

I've known about Def Leppard since 1983. Even seen then twice, once in Dallas as the headliner and again in 2014 when the co-headlined with KISS. But in terms of buying albums, I left off with Hysteria.

That changed this year when I stumbled onto Euphoria, the band's seventh studio album that turns twenty this summer. It's a really well-done album, but, surprisingly, one song stands out.

The tenth track of the 13-track album is "Disintegrate." It's an instrumental and, based on what I've read, it stands and the first instrumental song by the band since 1981's "High and Dry."

Anyway, as I was listening to the record top to bottom, "Disintegrate" made me stop and listen to the song again. Immediately. Then I finished the record. I've heard the entire album a few times now, but this song is my favorite.

It's got a great combination of a big pop-metal melody with a big of late 90s industrial-type undertones. As modern as it sounds, the tune still sounds very much like Def Leppard. 

Guitarist Phil Collen wrote the tune, and it clocks in under three minutes. He could have gone on for twice that time. 

If there's a favorite song of March 2019, it's Def Leppard's "Disintegrate."




And here's a video where Collen performs the song for the first time.

I'd be remiss if I also didn't congratulate Def Leppard for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this weekend. Here's is Queen's Brian May's speech.

No comments: