Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Two Sentence Tuesday: Superhero Edition

Even though I'm on vacation, I'd still like to participate. Thus, from the depths of the My Writings folder, a few lines:
The woman who sat across the coffee table from me took a cigarette out of her metal cigarette case and placed it between her luscious, pouty lips. She replaced the case in an interior pocket of her red cape at the same time she ‘flicked’ her thumb. A small, still flame emerged from the tip of her thumb. She brought the flame to the end of her cigarette and lit it. She inhale deeply, eyes closed. Absently, she shook her thumb as if she were extinguishing a match. She opened her eyes and looked at me. As she spoke, the smoke trickled out of her mouth.

"People accept me a little better if I just shake my thumb out rather than if I just turn off the flame."
Don't know where that came from but I chuckled as I wrote it a few years ago.

Don't have a twofer from a book as I won't know what book I'll be reading in four days (I'm writing this on Friday).

For more twofer fun, head on over to Women of Mystery.

I expect to get some writing done on my vacation so look for something new next week.

4 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

I chuckled as I read it. Nice one.

Charles Gramlich said...

It's cool when neat little snippets like this occur. Makes me want to know more about the character.

Barbara Martin said...

I chuckled too, and I hope you'll be writing more on this character.

Scott D. Parker said...

Leah - always happy to make people laugh.

Charles - I wrote this a few years ago. I think I'll get reacquainted with the story.

Barbara - I hope to start writing more and more short stories in order to have a body of work. I suspect this one'll be one of them.