Friday, October 3, 2008

New Dennis Lehane Tidbits

Over at Bang!, Clayton Moore writes about Dennis Lehane and the fleeting hopes that another Patrick/Angie book is out there. Moore links to his review of The Given Day, Lehane's latest, in the Rocky Mountain News and also back to Lehane's website which has a nice video interview and pictures of Boston in 1919.

As most of y'all know, I credit Lehane and Mystic River as the demarcation line of my love of crime fiction. Before MR, I barely gave crime fiction a thought. After MR, the world had changed for me. The Kenzie/Gennaro stories are wonderful and Lehane can count himself fortunate that good movies have been made from his books. Whether or not Lehane ever returns to crime fiction is a matter only he can decide. But, for me, he was the door into the crime fiction room in which I now happily live.

2 comments:

Chris said...

What's your opinion of Gone Baby Gone. I've never read the novel, but loved the film.

Unknown said...

Scott,

Hate to say it, but I just saw Lehane over at the Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale last Friday and he basically said that the series is done. And I can't say that I blame him. Chris, Gone baby Gone the book and Gone Baby Gone the movie are almost like two separate creatures. The film was great, but the book is one of Lehane's most mature novels. Read it as soon as you can.