Monday, November 4, 2019

NaNoWriMo 2019: Day 4

Today was interesting....with a big caveat.

My morning writing session was slow going, with barely over 700 words written. Going into the day job, I was a little bummed. The all-morning training session was scheduled to go from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30. That was going to kill my usual writing session time. I wasn't too bummed. I am already ahead of pace for the month, so I was fine to have only 700 words for the day.

And then the training session ended earlier than usual! Bingo. My lunchtime writing session was back on. And at the end of that hour yielded me a little over 2,000 words.

The Reading Aloud


Every day so far, I have been reading my daily writing aloud to my wife. She's a terrific first listener mainly because the types of books I write are not the ones she reads. She critical, including what she told me tonight.

Up until tonight, she had enjoyed it. Tonight, she had succinct response:

"You could speed up the pace a little."

She told me that the current chapter, four, could use a little pep, get to the story.

In Dean Wesley Smith's Writing into the Dark book, he likens the writing process to that of exploring a cave. When you get to a fork, you make a choice. You explore and, if you reach a dead end, you return to the fork and go down the the other.

That's what I'll be doing on Day 5. That means tomorrow's session will be interesting. I'll actually be going back to the beginning of Chapter 4, re-writing the whole thing, and and hopefully come out with a brand-spanking new chapter 4. On Day 5. Shrug. It happens, even in NaNoWriMo month.

Day 1: 2,063 (47,937 remaining)
Day 2: 2,724 (4,787 total; 45,213 remaining)
Day 3: 2,189 (6,976 total; 43,024 remaining)
Day 4: 2,033 (9,009 total; 40,991 remaining)

No comments: