Friday, July 10, 2009

Forgotten Books and Vacation Reading List

No forgotten book from me today. I'm getting ready for a short vacation. I've read four books recently (Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Deadly Beloved, and Road Dogs), all of which are not forgotten. Patti Abbott's blog has the rest of the list for this week.

I'm going to be gone for a few days vacationing in Central Texas visiting, among other things, Dinosaur Valley State Park and Fossil Rim Wildlife Center. I suspect a lot of y'all are like me in that I actually plan which books I'll be taking on any vacations. I have this interesting (read: strange?) penchant to read books that are about/set in the places I visit. Thus, last year, when I went to California, I took Robert Bloch's Spiderweb/Shooting Star as it was set in California. This year, it's westerns (mostly).
I'll have a few posts set to publish next week here at at SF Safari. I just won't be responding until I get back.

10 comments:

James Reasoner said...

I haven't read the MacDonald or the Lone Ranger graphic novel, but those Western short stories by Leonard are great and I like L'Amour's adventure stories as much or more than his Westerns, so I think you're in good shape with those two.

David Cranmer said...

Sounds like you have a great vacation planned. Have a safe trip.

Leah J. Utas said...

I've got a L'Amour waiting the book pile.
Enjoy your vacation.

Scott D. Parker said...

James - Since it was in the other room when I was writing the post, I neglected to list one other book I'm taking: Texas Wind. On MacDonald, this one is slower than Mascarada Pass so I'm having a tough time getting through it. I've only read the title story, so far, on the L'amour and absolutely loved it.

David - Yup, time to get out in the Texas heat even more.

Leah - What L'amour book is on your TBR pile? My dad has all of my grandfather's LL westerns so I can pretty much have my pick whenever I want.

Leah J. Utas said...

Scott, "To The Far Blue Mountains" is waiting for me. It says "The Sacketts" above L'Amour's name. Is it a series? I got it at a yard sale.

Scott D. Parker said...

Leah - I know enough about L'amour to know that the Sacketts is one of those broad, generation-spanning histories L'amour wrote about. He took one family, I think, and showed their progression across the west. That's about all I know.

Charles Gramlich said...

I want to see Dinosaur Valley State park. One of these days. Have fun.

Scott D. Parker said...

Charles - Make sure you visit Dinosaur Valley and Fossil Rim's Wildlife Center. It's the only (?) safari in Texas where you can drive your car through and see the animals. Tres cool!

James Reasoner said...

I've been to Dinosaur Valley once and really enjoyed it. Haven't made it to Fossil Rim yet. You know how it is about visiting things in your own back yard . . .

THE DAYBREAKERS is the first Sackett novel L'Amour wrote, although it's not the first one chronologically in the series. It's also one of my favorite L'Amour novels.

Barbara Martin said...

Driving through a wildlife center? There's an African Safari near Cambridge, Ontario where the monkeys will rip the rubber off the windshield wipers.

Have a safe trip, and give us the run down when you get back.