Sunday, December 31, 2017

Favorite Things 2017

As I sit here, waiting for the new year to arrive, I'm thinking about a few of my favorite things of 2017. Here is a smattering, all done off the top of my head.


PODCASTS
Pod of Thunder (KISS podcast)
Fat Man on Batman
Hollywood Babble On
TechnoRetro Dads
70s Trek
The Art of Manliness
I Hear of Sherlock Everywhere
Trailblazers with Walter Isaacson


MOVIES
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Wonder Woman
Guardians 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Spider-Man: Homecoming
The Man Who Invented Christmas
Justice League
Blade runner 2049
IT
(There's probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind.)


TV SHOWS
The Killing (season 1)
Broadchurch (tune in to Do Some Damage on Saturday, 6 Jan, for my full review)
The Flash
Stranger Things 2
Longmire
Bloodline (Season 1 specifically, but 2 and 3 are okay)


BOOKS
Four Must Die by Bradford Scott
Longarm and the Bank Robber's Daughter (James Reasoner)
The Pulp Jungle by Frank Gruber
Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero
All Systems Red by Martha Wells


ALBUMS
The Nashville Sound by Jason Isbell (probably my favorite new album of the year)
La La Land soundtrack
The Last Jedi soundtrack
Christmas in Tahoe by Train (This one took me completely by surprise. My son discovered Train this year so this was a no-brainier. As much as I enjoy Christmas songs with jingle bells and cold-weather themes, this is a great CD for a warm weather Christmas.)


SONGS
Another Day of Sun ( La La Land)
Planetarium (La La Land)
Play That Song by Train
One Night Only by The Struts
Tank! By Seatbelts (from Cowbow Bebop)
Cumberland Gap by Jason Isbell
Drinkin' Problem by Midland


BEERS AND WINES

Bulletproof Picasso Sauvignon blanc (Speaking of Train, this is one of their wines)

This was the year I discovered rose. Hey, it ain't all sweet.

Saint Arnold's (favorite Houston brewer): 5 o'clock pills, Pub crawl, and Summer pills

Real ale brewing company (my favorite new brewer I discovered this year. They are out of Blanco, Texas). They make great beers, but my favorites are Firemans blonde ale, Full moon rise IPA, Devils backbone Belgian – style triple, Lost gold India pale ale, and Rio Blanco pale Ale.

Karbach: Love Street Coelsch style

Buffalo Bayou brewing company: Great White Buffalo Belgian – style withier



No comments: