Friday, January 2, 2009

Donald Westlake

I barely even put my toe in the ocean of Westlake's prose before he passed on New Year's Eve. I have only read one of his books, Somebody Owes Me Money (Hard Case Crime). My review is here. Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more.

There are better outlets with many more links. The Rap Sheet has some good links as well as Sarah Weinman.

Suffice it to say, we've lost a giant. And a standard by which all crime fiction must be measured. I think we're all in Westlake's debt.

4 comments:

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Yet another past master passes away. We've lost a lot of the big guys in recent years.

Jacob Weaver said...

It really is unbelievable that so many giants have left us in the past few years. Westlake, Mickey, McBain and the others will all be missed.

I've only read The Hunter so far and absolutely loved it. Based on the amount of different news outlets that reported his passing, he influenced a wide variety of people.

Capes on Film said...

Scott, just checked out your site for the first time. I've gotten into pulp so I'll definitely be back. I'm kinda new to blogger- just trying to see what's out there. Later.

Scott D. Parker said...

Matthew K. - Welcome. There are quite a few pulp/crime blogs out there. My Google Reader has a few dozen. Thanks for stopping by.